Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is a progressive loss in renal function over a period of months or years. It is estimated that there are over 5.5 million patients with CKD with an NHS spend of over 1.5 billion per annum.
Health Intelligence’s Chronic Kidney Disease Dashboard reports on all aspects of CKD from a Primary Care Perspective. It helps General Practice understand their patients, those who are diagnosed; those that should be diagnosed given their test results; the management of their patients; gaps in their care; and prompts for referral where indicated.
The structure of the Dashboard is as follows:
- Prevalence and Incidence – This report shows the total number of patients within the Practice with a diagnosis of CKD and also the number of patients diagnosed within the last 12 months.
- Patient’s Patients likely to have the CKD – This set of reports identifies patients whose data suggests that they may have CKD but a diagnosis has not been recorded on the Practice's clinical system. This report details patients who meet the current diagnostic criteria and also patients who have hospital data that indicates CKD.
- Primary Prevention of CKD – This report indentifies patients who are at risk of developing CKD and for example includes patients who are on nephrotoxic drugs.
- Management of Patients with CKD – This report identifies where the Practice may be required to intervene. For example, the report highlights missing elements of care and also prompts where the criteria for referral to a nephrologist has been met (and no referral is recorded).
- Lifestyle Management of Patients with CKD – This report identified patients who have and who have not been given relevant advice.
- Medicines Management of Patients with CKD – This report identifies patients with CKD who are currently prescribed nephrotoxic drugs.
Like other dashboards, all of the above profiles support the selection of patients to list them and review specific patient records; a comparison against other Practices; and a review of the profiles over time (each quarter a snapshot is taken).